Thursday, March 25, 2010

My first trip to Bells Bend


Last week my good friends, Kevin Menck and Jim Frazier, treated me to my first trip to Bells Bend Park. Now, I understand what all the fuss is about. What an awesome resource. I would hate to see that area destroyed with asphalt and rebar. The views are spectacular. The painting was difficult due to the overcast day and lack of foliage. The fields are full of briars and sharp pointy things. But, when you try to paint the fields and trees they have a softness to all the edges. I try to find as much contrast as possible on days with overcast light. Not much color. Very subtle transitions. Honestly, I think I prefer to paint on days like that. I love trying to capture the small temperature changes.
I started this painting from a cool barn atop the hill. While finishing my drawing, I heard a large group of middle schoolers heading my way. Then from the other direction came "Mary Poppins" singing Barny songs to a gaggle of 5 year olds. I did the emergency 30 second pack up and run away drill. I set out past Kevin and finished the painting from a totally different view. Poor Jim took one for the team and got hung entertaining the 5 year olds. Thanks Jim.
I can't wait to return and to explore the bend.


1 comment:

  1. The "Mary Poppins" story gave me a visual and a laugh!

    It's interesting how you approach the challenge of low-contrast lighting and subject matter, and turn it into an advantage. Those kind of conditions would spell mud city for me!

    ReplyDelete